Will crossbar provide tasks queing ?

Hello,

With message passing and RPC, crossbar already has everything to queue tasks, except for storing results.

Is it in the todo list to make it a broken for tasks as well ? If yes, will it be transient tasks, and in that case does that mean some kind of storage will be provided or at least encouraged to be installed ?

This is not a feature request, I’m just curious about the future of the tools. It has fantastic potential, but I couldn’t find a roadmap.

Cheers

0 Likes

Michel,

Hello,

With message passing and RPC, crossbar already has everything to queue
tasks, except for storing results.

>
> Is it in the todo list to make it a broken for tasks as well ? If yes,
> will it be transient tasks, and in that case does that mean some kind of
> storage will be provided or at least encouraged to be installed ?

Crossbar.io will soon have (again) direct database integration with PostgreSQL and Oracle (we already had it for Crossbar.io 1 / WAMP1 .. but need to catch up after big WAMP2 migration).

This allows you to call database stored procedures (and also register procedures as event handlers) like any other WAMP procedure.

Can you describe how you would defined a "task broker" (use cases / functionality / requirements)?

If you mean something like a "transactional queue", where multiple producers transactionally queue tasks, and multiple consumers transactionally dequeue tasks, this would best be done on top of the direct database integration above:

Producer:

queue_task(<queue ID>, <task data>) -> OK

Consumer:

get_task(<queue ID>) -> <task ID, task data>

.. process task ..

finish_task(<task ID>, <task result>) -> OK

where above functions are implemented as database stored procedures called via WAMP and actual tasks stored in PostgreSQL/Oracle.

Stored procs. like above are easy to do on PG/Ora .. couple of lines. And you have an ultra-reliable store, and (equally important): transparent and easy data access (SQL).

We might add some kind of event persistence to Crossbar.io itself, but this is likely no going to be something you'd directly use as a task queue system like outlined above.

Crossbar.io should remain a high performance, light-weight application router, not an "enterprise transactional queueing system".

This is not a feature request, I'm just curious about the future of the
tools. It has fantastic potential, but I couldn't find a roadmap.

Yeah, sorry, there isn't a published roadmap;)

But it's a good idea .. added an issue: https://github.com/crossbario/crossbar/issues/32

Cheers,
/Tobias

···

Am 12.03.2014 15:50, schrieb Michel Desmoulin:

Cheers

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Autobahn" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to autobahnws+...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:autobahnws+...@googlegroups.com>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

0 Likes