Unable to use Autobahn|Python for JSON RPC use case

Hello,

I am trying to use Autobahn|Python as a websocket client for the following use case:

• I have a remote server which uses WebSockets to carryout JSON RPC commands.
  • A WebSocket client can send a JSON RPC command (with a command id) and the server asynchronously responds to that command with the same id.
  • The server can also publish events asynchronously on the same WebSocket channel which are to be interpreted by the client code as appropriate.

The problem I am facing is that I want the protocol handling to be detached from the main thread of my Python application. Event loop achieves that but I also need synchronization events between my main thread and the WebSocket event loop. For example, here’s a use case that I am not able to find examples for in the community: Send a JSON RPC command to the server and waits synchronously for a response to arrive.

How do I achieve this in autobahn|python? Are there any examples that are a bit more fancier than a simple echo example?

0 Likes

This will depend on your event-loop. If you’re writing all-new code, I’d avoid threads entirely.

However you can use https://pypi.org/project/crochet/ to use Twisted code from synchronous code. I’m not sure if there’s an asyncio equivalent, but asyncio.run_until_complete may work for you use-case.

0 Likes

I may misunderstand your use-case, but if you’re doing what I think you’re doing, one possible solution would be to run two processes rather than threads and run an event loop in each process … then synchronise the processes via a Queue object or similar. The “multiprocessing” library pretty much makes this approach as easy as using threads … benefit here is you effectively get access to two discrete processes i.e. twice the processing potential … (you “can” run an event loop per thread, but I’m not sure it’s “recommended”)

0 Likes