twisted? asyncio?

What’s the difference between autobahn based on twisted and autobahn based on asyncio? autobahn based on asyncio is asynchronous implementation and therefore has higher performance?

I installed authbahn by “pip install autobahn”, is it asynchronous? If not, how can I install it “asynchronously”?

What’s the difference between the examples in “AutobahnPython/examples/twisted” directory and those in “AutobahnPython/examples/asyncio” directory?

0 Likes

Twisted is entirely asynchronous by design (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactor_pattern). The difference between asyncio and Twisted is that asyncio is a different library, which is py3k compatible and part of the standard library as of 3.4, whereas Twisted is older, more widely used, but only runs on py2 right now. Plus asyncio is only for input-output, whereas Twisted in principle can handle any sort of concurrency delegation.

To use AutobahnPython you need to pick an async API and learn a little bit about it. We're using Twisted so we need to think. The different examples can be your guide to getting started with your chosen API; but asyncio is new with Autobahn 0.8+ (or is it 0.9+?) so the examples might not be as fleshed out there yet.

tl;dr: if you want python3, use asyncio. if you need to deploy on older servers that don't have python3 or you have a library that is designed for Twisted, use Twisted.

···

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Simon <simon...@gmail.com> wrote:

What's the difference between autobahn based on twisted and autobahn based on asyncio? autobahn based on asyncio is asynchronous implementation and therefore has higher performance?

I installed authbahn by "pip install autobahn", is it asynchronous? If not, how can I install it "asynchronously"?

What's the difference between the examples in "AutobahnPython/examples/twisted" directory and those in "AutobahnPython/examples/asyncio" directory?

0 Likes

Hi Nick,

Very clear answer, thank you!

Simon

···

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:40:11 PM UTC+8, Nick Guenther wrote:

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Simon simo...@gmail.com wrote:

What’s the difference between autobahn based on twisted and autobahn
based on asyncio? autobahn based on asyncio is asynchronous
implementation and therefore has higher performance?

I installed authbahn by “pip install autobahn”, is it asynchronous?

If not, how can I install it “asynchronously”?

What’s the difference between the examples in
“AutobahnPython/examples/twisted” directory and those in
“AutobahnPython/examples/asyncio” directory?

Twisted is entirely asynchronous by design (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactor_pattern). The difference between
asyncio and Twisted is that asyncio is a different library, which is
py3k compatible and part of the standard library as of 3.4, whereas
Twisted is older, more widely used, but only runs on py2 right now.
Plus asyncio is only for input-output, whereas Twisted in principle can
handle any sort of concurrency delegation.

To use AutobahnPython you need to pick an async API and learn a little
bit about it. We’re using Twisted so we need to think. The different
examples can be your guide to getting started with your chosen API; but
asyncio is new with Autobahn 0.8+ (or is it 0.9+?) so the examples
might not be as fleshed out there yet.

tl;dr: if you want python3, use asyncio. if you need to deploy on older
servers that don’t have python3 or you have a library that is designed
for Twisted, use Twisted.

0 Likes