Pubsub example server problem

Hi,

I am interested in integrating Wamp into an industrial web application I am using/upgrading. It is a fairly low-key project in terms of web applications but it needs to be quite robust as it is seasonal. 24 hours a day for 1.5 months out of the year. No time for in season patches.

For development I took the example pubsub server (python) straight out of the box and installed it on a dev server on Rackspace. I took the Javascript client and edited it a bit into a free for all chat. Type into input box incoming messages are printed to full page div. The problem is on random connections the websocket connects and the user can publish messages but the user does not receive other clients messages. The Chrome console does not show any error messages. It appears like the onEvent function is never fired. But every other connected client continues to work and the problem client can publish messages that everyone else receives. Randomly reloading the page can fix it for most users but sometimes it doesn’t work for long periods of time on a certain client.

Now I’m not very deep into this yet, I am probably overlooking something obvious here, but if someone could point me in the general direction I would be grateful. It seems to me to be a problem on the server as all clients have at one time or another worked. Is there a log output from the python pubsub server?

The other thing I want to test yet is if its related to the connection between the server and the client. I only tested it a small time on my LAN before I pushed it onto the public server but I didn’t have the problem then.

Thank you.

Trendal

0 Likes

I do believe I have found the problem.

After moving to the public server on Rackspace, the ws connection was taking just a wee bit longer. I was using the user’s personal name input for the hook to connect the websocket. The users were clicking in the box before the page had fully loaded. (onclick fired the subscribe). Thats what I get for trashy quick coding. Shouldn’t make the event fire until after the websocket has connected.

Thanks anyway.

···

On Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:56:43 PM UTC-8, Trendal Toews wrote:

Hi,

I am interested in integrating Wamp into an industrial web application I am using/upgrading. It is a fairly low-key project in terms of web applications but it needs to be quite robust as it is seasonal. 24 hours a day for 1.5 months out of the year. No time for in season patches.

For development I took the example pubsub server (python) straight out of the box and installed it on a dev server on Rackspace. I took the Javascript client and edited it a bit into a free for all chat. Type into input box incoming messages are printed to full page div. The problem is on random connections the websocket connects and the user can publish messages but the user does not receive other clients messages. The Chrome console does not show any error messages. It appears like the onEvent function is never fired. But every other connected client continues to work and the problem client can publish messages that everyone else receives. Randomly reloading the page can fix it for most users but sometimes it doesn’t work for long periods of time on a certain client.

Now I’m not very deep into this yet, I am probably overlooking something obvious here, but if someone could point me in the general direction I would be grateful. It seems to me to be a problem on the server as all clients have at one time or another worked. Is there a log output from the python pubsub server?

The other thing I want to test yet is if its related to the connection between the server and the client. I only tested it a small time on my LAN before I pushed it onto the public server but I didn’t have the problem then.

Thank you.

Trendal

0 Likes

Hi Trendal,

not sure I get what your problem is/was .. does it still persist?

Curious: what "industrial web app" are you building? Can you disclose a little bit?

-- Tobias

···

Am 30.12.2012 08:33, schrieb Trendal Toews:

I do believe I have found the problem.

After moving to the public server on Rackspace, the ws connection was
taking just a wee bit longer. I was using the user's personal name
input for the hook to connect the websocket. The users were clicking in
the box before the page had fully loaded. (onclick fired the
subscribe). Thats what I get for trashy quick coding. Shouldn't make
the event fire until after the websocket has connected.

Thanks anyway.

On Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:56:43 PM UTC-8, Trendal Toews wrote:

Hi,

I am interested in integrating Wamp into an industrial web
    application I am using/upgrading. It is a fairly low-key project in
    terms of web applications but it needs to be quite robust as it is
    seasonal. 24 hours a day for 1.5 months out of the year. No time
    for in season patches.

For development I took the example pubsub server (python) straight
    out of the box and installed it on a dev server on Rackspace. I
    took the Javascript client and edited it a bit into a free for all
    chat. Type into input box incoming messages are printed to full
    page div.The problem is on random connections the websocket connects
    and the user can publish messages but the user does not receive
    other clients messages. The Chrome console does not show any error
    messages. It appears like the onEvent function is never fired. But
    every other connected client continues to work and the problem
    client can publish messages that everyone else receives. Randomly
    reloading the page can fix it for most users but sometimes it
    doesn't work for long periods of time on a certain client.

Now I'm not very deep into this yet, I am probably overlooking
    something obvious here, but if someone could point me in the general
    direction I would be grateful. It seems to me to be a problem on
    the server as all clients have at one time or another worked. Is
    there a log output from the python pubsub server?

The other thing I want to test yet is if its related to the
    connection between the server and the client. I only tested it a
    small time on my LAN before I pushed it onto the public server but I
    didn't have the problem then.

Thank you.

Trendal

0 Likes