Autobahn for very old python version (2.5)

Hi, I apologize in advance for my the request.

I would like to give new life to an old phone with os symbian on which I installed, lot time ago, python 2.5.4 (Python for S60).

My intent is to use my old nokia phone, with wifi or cellular data internet capabilities, like a device to send and receive data, by using python 2.5.4 and Autobahn for python 2.5, to/from a server that is a remote python environment capable to do math and a lot of things. The server is SageMathCell (SageMathCell).

The developers of this server allow to use the server also via programming mode, that is through a script that, executed on python, sends a python string to server and receives the output of the execution as a json file. This script is ‘sagecell-client.py’ (sagecell-client).

This script requires the lib ‘websocket-client’ (websocket-client) but a version of this lib available for python 2.5 doesn’t exist.

I ask if there are some versions of Autobahn that works for very old python 2.5 and if could be possibile to adapt the script ‘sagecell-client.py’ to use Autobahn instead of ‘websocket-client’.

A possible existing Autobahn version for python 2.5 what kind of dependencies would require if I wanted to use it to execute the script ‘sagecell-client.py’, possibly adapted to use it with Autobahn instead of ‘websocket-client’?

Thank you so much for any reply.
Best regards

Matteo

Hi there! no need to apologize for asking/requesting things. doesn’t mean we can help / be useful of course;)

Nokia S60: you must be kidding! =) this is ages ago. fwiw, I do have an E51 around somewhere, as I actually did some Symbian C++ development in the days. This was the worst development experience ever. Not even CORBA development in the 90s was as bad. Horrific.

Anyways: Autobahn on Python 2 requires v19.11.2 or earlier.

However: python 2.5.4 is absolutely stone age. Above Autobahn version announces 2.7 (https://github.com/crossbario/autobahn-python/blob/bc69723f5f5cfd489d74ea57e6188f11aee3f378/setup.py#L314) - it might work nevertheless

This old python lacks asyncio, so you will need Twisted

If you need TLS, you will need PyOpenSSL for Twisted

My intent is to use my old nokia phone, with wifi or cellular data internet capabilities

I guess you will have very specific good reasons for wanting to use the old nokia brick in this way (not only as a data modem for another device, but also for hosting the py client itself)

because: this is masochist;) in my eyes, it will be lots of pain for small gain. likely.

hope this helps,
Cheers,
/Tobias

Hi Tobias, thank you so much for your reply.

I’m sorry that I created two times the thread, I don’t know if it is possible to delete the other one (“Autobahn for python 2.5”).

I’m a little nostalgic about Symbian because it was first OS I start to use python with.

I know python 2.5.4 is ancient, but it is the first programming language I started to learn, just for fun, during school period (nothing to do with advanced programming).

So, I will try to use Autobahn for python 2.5 on PC and to see if I need some more extras libraries.

If I can write some code that communicates with the server, I will able to use the online python interpreter also with my old Nokia, just for fun, nothing professional.

In practice, I will begin to adapt the script that works with websocket-client to make it work with Autobahn too, at least using python 2.7 or python 3.
Then I will try to see if it is possible to run everything also with python 2.5 with PC and finally with my old Nokia.

I consider it a project to be done in my free time, well aware that I might not get any results because I am not a programmer by profession, but sometimes I delight in it because programming is a fascinating world.

Thanks again!
Best regards
Matteo

1 Like

Hi Matteo,

thanks, ok, I see!

just a personal tip/hint: what is more important - nostalgic or delight? depending on the answer, I would not deal with symbian;)

python is awesome though, and the perfect language for newbies and interested adventurers!

the great thing today, you can start in your browser: https://jupyter.org/try

cheers,
/Tobias